Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Two Days of Nothing

We sent the kids ahead with my in-laws, since I had some medical tests scheduled during the first two days of vacation. I was bummed to miss out, but it was nice to have two kid-free days with my husband. After I dutifully allowed my doctor to poke and prod me, we set off for Broken Bow, Oklahoma.

We arrived late, so we didn't get to see the girls until the next morning. They were very happy to see Daddy.

He's been working furiously since February, when he was cleared for work after breaking his elbow in October. The girls got used to having him around, so the adjustment has been difficult. It was so nice to spend two days simply being together.

I spent a lazy morning on the deck between my mother- and sister-in-law, enjoying our coffee and quiet time reading.

My father-in-law stayed in work mode, carting some debris off from the cabin.

The girls soaked up lavish amounts of attention from Grandma and Grandpa, their aunt and uncle, and us.

Most of our time was spent out by the fire pit, roasting marshmallows, listening to the guys strum their guitars, watching the stars come out, and chatting.

Yes, we had that big, lovely cabin to all to ourselves. My in-laws picked a wonderful way to celebrate their upcoming 35 year anniversary.

My husband is an avid geocacher, so we couldn't resist taking the family on a little adventure.

Broken Bow Lake was beautiful. And cold.

The girls made cookies with their sweet aunt.

After putting the girls to sleep for our last night in Oklahoma, the grownups began an intense Scrabble battle.

We lost by one point. ONE point. The tragedy!

Such a lovely, relaxing vacation. I was able to sleep several hours at a time at night, something that I haven't been able to do since getting sick 3 weeks ago. We even enjoyed the 6+ hour drive home with two children under the age of three, since we were completely de-stressed from two days of sitting by the fire drinking wine. My husband jumped right back in to work, and I'm still in the middle of seeking a firm diagnosis of what's going on with me, but the effect of stealing a few quiet days with people I love has lingered. I'm still on a vacation high, I suppose. It really was just what we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment